A simple and special preparation that you can prepare in 15-20 mins with this iconic Bengali fish.
Preparation Time: 15-20 Minutes
Kajali Fish – 300 gms
Mustard Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard Paste - 3 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – 0.5 teaspoon
Chilly powder (optional) – 0.5 teaspoon
Medium size green chili – 4 Pieces
Salt – To taste
Curry leaves - 4-5
(You can also use coriander leaves instead, if you like – 3 or 4 Tablespoon roughly chopped)
How to make Kajali Bhape (Steamed Kajali)
1. Wash the fish (don’t need to do that if you have bought it from Jalongi.com) and add some salt and turmeric powder on it and keep it aside.
2. Soak the mustard seeds and salt for a few minutes and then grind it along with 2 green chillies to make a paste.
3. In your microwave bowl you need to add the fish, mustard-chilly paste, mustard oil, salt, green chilles, chilly powder (if needed), curry leaves and mix well.
4. Microwave the content for 5 minutes or microwave it until the fish become soft.
5. Serve it hot along with steamed rice.
Put all of these in a steel container, seal it well.
Steam in a pressure cooker with 2-3 cups of water for 2-3 whistles.